Thursday, November 06, 2014

The Story of the Grail and the Passing of Arthur by Howard Pyle


The Story of the Grail and the Passing of Arthur

Howard Pyle

Published 1924

Medieval Lit

⭐⭐⭐


This is going to be a super quick post.  I have completed my Arthurian Lit Reading Challenge via Howling Frog Books.  This title was the last of four books on my list.  It was your typical Howard Pyle style, which I do find entertaining, but I think two Pyles in one year may be a little much for me. There were some stories of Pyle's that were in The Four Arthurian Romances by Chretien de Troyes, such as the story of Geraint and Enid.  I actually enjoyed Chretien's interpretation even more. 


For most of the book, I was reading along and just enduring it, until the very end.  The story of Sir Launcelot and Queen Guinevere grabbed my attention, and I really relished it.  I mean, the termination of the Knights of the Round Table due to the battles between King Arthur's knights and Sir Launcelot's knights was horrible.  But later I felt badly for Launcelot, especially because of the Queen's rejection of him after King Arthur had died.  He truly loved her, I think.


So, yay!  I have completed another reading challenge, having read a couple of titles that I would have never read had I not joined, and I am really grateful that I was exposed to them.  Thanks, Jean @ Howling Frog Books.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts...