Tuesday, December 06, 2016

The Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame

 


The Wind in the Willows
Kenneth Grahame
Published 1908
Challenges: Back-to-the Classics (a children's classic), book club
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐


I know this is a children's book, but by no means should adults overlook it.  Of course, you may find it unconventional to read seriously about four small animal friends, with human characteristics, and their joyful life experiences and thrilling adventures; but their tale is told with great human themes that everyone can relate to or learn from.  


Mole, Rat, Toad, and Badger take you on many excursions through their little animal world, set in England, and teach you about the natural longings for home and long-lasting, good friendships.  There are lessons in consequences for bad choices and how loyal friends will stand by you though thick and thin.  Adventure is a major theme, and each animal has a calling, although it is not always the end result because it may not be the best idea.  This is where friends come in handy and help to make good decisions.  At times the plot seems to be missing, but it is not; and if you focus on the themes, you may appreciate the story even deeper.  


At the center of the story, the mythological Greek god of Nature, Pan, makes an appearance. Some have made his connection to Christ, but I am quick to think, "No! Why would Grahame use a pagan god to represent Christ?"  However, Pan is seen here as a remake, rather an intentionally gentle, caring character, a helper and protector of nature, animals, and peace.  Could it be easier to imagine Pan in this fictional animal children's story, as opposed to a human figure, like Christ?  Possibly.  This is a really fantastical chapter of the story, and I want to reread it a few more times, to experience it again.


I would also add that this might be difficult at times to read aloud to children because Grahame is another master weaver of the English language.  For me, it was such a pleasure to read aloud, as literature should be, but my children interrupted often to ask for definitions of words. However, they did enjoy the overall experience of the animals and their simple and complicated antics.  And since it took over a month to read through just 12 chapters, my younger ones were anxious to read the adapted versions of Wind in the Willows that we own.  They wanted to read ahead to see what happened next.


Someday I hope to reread this to myself again, without having to stop and explain British English words to my kids.  Now that I focused more on the themes, I know why I was fond of this story when I first read it many years ago. 


P.S. I found this short YouTube video of Wind in the Willows' illustrations, by Inga Moore, which I find delightfully sweet, just like the story itself.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts...