Friday, December 08, 2017

The Brothers Karamazov by Fyodor Dostoevsky


The Brothers Karamazov
Fyodor Dostoevsky
Published 1880
Russian Novel
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ 


The Brothers Karamazov was a very important book that covered four of my reading challenges.  It was a highly anticipated read, and I did not take the commitment lightly.  Now that I am done, I am rather speechless -- in part because I still do not know how to write something worthy enough, but also because I am really too distracted to sit down and think about it clearly.  This is our last week of summer vacation, and we have big plans each day; but once school begins, any time to think about this book will be farther from realization than it is now.  I must have closure as soon as possible.


The Brothers Karamazov is serious reading.  I gave it up half way through until someone suggested that I read it one chapter per week.  I slowly returned to it.  It went smoothly until I came to the major event of the story, and then I could not put it down.  It moved rapidly; it was intense and wonderful.  It was well worth the struggle.


Russian authors, or at least those whom I have already read, often fascinate me because they are so similar in their story telling processes, demonstrating a theme of loyalty and admiration of their country, even if there is some disagreement on the author's part. These authors manipulate characters to represent philosophies, societies, and cultures, and my point is that Dostoevsky is no exception. If you have not read Brothers Karamazov and plan to one day, be prepared for much Russian nationalism or patriotism and philosophy.  Also, there is a heavy religious tone or theme, with references to Scripture and many questions about God and morality.  Oh, and lots of exploration of psychology, justice, and many other ideas, too.


Another major issue is the particulars of family.  Three young men grew up under a tyrannical father, without a mother's love and nurture, and now you understand why children benefit from loving, attentive, patient, and mentally stable fathers and mothers who raise them.  In other words, crappy childhoods may produce messed up adults.  It happens. 


And then there is the family character as a whole symbolizing Russia, examining how outside conflicting forces and environments affect each man differently, causing the reader to consider how foreign influences may have altered the Russia people, society, government, and culture.  It is all very intriguing and perfect for a year long study one of these days.  Or maybe in another life.


So, yes, this is superb reading, but it is also a serious commitment.  It took me months and months to read and almost half as long to blog about.  I could not put it off any longer, hence the unpretentious, inept post about this very complex story.  But yay! It is done.  


No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts...