Saturday, December 08, 2018

The Outsiders by S. E. Hinton


The Outsiders
S. E. Hinton
Published 1967
American Novel
⭐⭐⭐⭐


My 11-year old and I read this for fun several weeks ago, after a couple of bloggers, like Hamlette @ Edge of the Precipice, suggested this as one of the greatest classics. I had never read it, but when I was 13-years old, this movie was released, and I did see it; of course, all I cared about was Matt Dillion and Thomas C. Howell, and regretfully, I remembered nothing more from the film. 


So the book was completely to me. And I must admit, I was really impressed by this short, powerful, emotional read. The author was a 16-year old teenage girl, although she assigned narration to a teenage male voice, the main character, Pony Boy (played by Thomas C. Howell in the film). 


I am not going to reveal the plot, but I am going to share that it is rather a sad story, though with a hopeful conclusion. It has somewhat of a West Side Story feel to it, without the major love story. The focus is rather on the prejudices towards those in different social classes and the conflict it brings between opposing groups.  


The story contains graphic violence and a lot of smoking. I think I remember some profanity, but not the worst kind. The most difficult truth in the story, for me, was the mistreatment of some of the characters by their parents. This is a very real circumstance that breaks my heart, but it helps the reader to sympathize with the characters that end up in difficult situations and forced to make drastic life decisions. 


Should You Read This?


Well, if you have not already -- as it seems so many readers have and I am just late to the party -- then, yes. Every one can relate to this story. It is short, so you do not have to commit much time to it. It is not complex, as the young narrator speaks plainly. It is quick-paced, emotional, shocking, and sad. And I would suggest that you watch the film soon after you finish the book. It will be worth it. If you like powerful stories that stay with you for a long time after, then this is that book. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts...