Thursday, November 11, 2021

The Hobbit by J. R. R. Tolkien

 

The Hobbit
J. R. R. Tolkien
Published 1937
juvenile fantasy / children's lit
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐/5

I had first read The Hobbit to my young children eight years ago, and we just finished it a second time today. Even my sixteen-year old enjoyed listening to it again. 

I had forgotten what a comforting and liberating ending it has. My favorite moment is this realization that there is a hopeful time of peace once victory is achieved, though not without significant effort, sacrifice, and loss.
The elf host was on the march; and if it was sadly lessened, yet many were glad, for now the northern world would be merrier or many a long day. The dragon was dead, and the goblins overthrown, and their hearts looked after winter to a spring of joy. 

Maybe there are stronger, more valuable quotes from the story, but this was the passage where I felt a weight lifted from my shoulders -- a hopefulness greater than the story itself, a restoration and peace -- what human hearts long for. I know mine certainly does.   

Possibly I was more sensitive to it today because my kids and I simultaneously completed our history on D-Day, of how it led to the end of Hitler and his stranglehold on Europe. That feat was not accomplished lightly, and yet in eleven months following that longest day, the assault attained its goal: the end of a mad man; the end of what seemed like endless terror. 

So too, the characters in The Hobbit are tasked with righting a wrong, defeating evil and terror, and meeting numerous daunting adventures along the way. Granted, Tolkien wrote this plot for his young son; hence, it is a story for juveniles -- though you may be a child at heart, which will suit you fine -- and therefore, it is woven with humor, charm, and lightheartedness. 

But what child does not know the triumph and victory over danger and evil? I believe we all know it well, as it is written on our hearts, and particularly why the ending is so significant. 

I am not a fantasy-type reader, but this story is still a pleasure for me. Maybe it is because I do live through the adventures of my protagonists, or maybe because I covet a hobbit hole, a warm fire, and a book to read. Over all, The Hobbit is satisfyingly good for the heart. 

6 comments:

  1. The Hobbit is one of those books I cannot read too many times. You're right. It has the perfect ingredients that make it such a wonderful read.

    How are things in Cali? You and your husband have decided to stay, I take it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, it feels like prison. I say that bc we took a trip to Florida in late May early June, and it was like liberty hit us in the face. While our city/county is not as oppressed as Los Angeles or San Fran, people here voluntarily await their orders, and self-righteously wear their masks, even though vaxxed or it doesn't make sense.

      Our governor is a cruel, hypocritical overlord, and we sense that he hates it when other states are first to come up with more oppressive executive orders than he does.

      With that, my husband is still looking for work. He's included Florida and TN in his search, and he's had about 6 different interviews in a year. Nothing, yet. :(

      The only way we'll leave w/o securing a job is if he gets fired for no vax. That may come next year.

      Delete
    2. Thank you, Sharon. I really appreciate it.

      My oldest son just told my husband and I last night that he quit his job and he's moving to Florida in December. He has some interviews lined up. So...we'll see...

      Delete
  2. You've summed it up perfectly. This story is such a great combination of moral adventure and home comforts.

    ReplyDelete

Share your thoughts...