Monday, April 18, 2022

To the Edge of the World by Michele Torrey

To the Edge of the World
Michele Torrey
Published 2003
⭐⭐⭐

For starters, this book is juvenile historical fiction. It is the story of Magellan's circumnavigational trek of the globe narrated through the life of a young orphan, Mateo, who was hired as cabin boy for the voyage. At first, he does not know very much, other than what he hears from his peers -- that Magellan is a coward, there will be a mutiny, and when they get to the Spice Islands, they will all be rich. 

I was really interested in this book because I had just finished Over the Edge of the World by Bergreen, which was ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐, and I was open to reliving the experience again. Crazy, I know! WHY would I want to relive violence, terror, horror, mistreatment, injustice, depression, starvation, chaos, and demise? Bergreen did a fascinating job -- nothing will top it for me. Since I had gleaned much from Over the Edge, I thought it would be a breeze to get through this juvenile fiction.

Well, it was a breeze, and I was pleasantly surprised that Torrey kept very close to the true facts. The only fabrications were the main character, Mateo, and conversation that can only be assumed. However, for a juvenile book, I thought this was possibly too graphic, especially the romance between Mateo and the native girl he had met. I had read other accounts, in addition to Over the Edge, that relationships were made between Europeans and natives in South America. Some native women even cried when the men embarked. Maybe Torrey wanted to include the truth of these relationships through her main character, a 14-year old boy. It was unnecessary, I think, for juvenile reading. Maybe I am a little prudish? (shrug)

The violence was definitely graphic; though, when it comes to history, I am more forgiving. However, it may be too much for some young sensitive readers, especially moms. But it was a violent voyage, and Torrey did not really water that down. She even included the exposure of homosexuality and the punishment of the one party and the demise of the other. A very sad case. 

Some of the themes in this version include friendship, loyalty, and the difference between truth and rumors or hearsay. A very important lesson. 

I gave this three stars because of the loyalty to the truth, but I am not a super fan of historical fiction. The story works, and it was agreeable. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts...