Tuesday, September 03, 2024

Top Ten Tuesday: Books Involving Food


This TTT topic is about books involving food (but not cookbooks). Have you ever read a book that inspired you to try a recipe? Here are some books I've read that involved food, even some that inspired me to put on an apron. 

1. Melville : Moby Dick : clam chowder
I had to make clam chowder after reading the chapter "Chowder" in Moby Dick. Yummy!



2. Stowe : Uncle Tom's Cabin : pound cake
I wish I had taken a picture of this delicious pound cake I made for our book club discussion of Uncle Tom's Cabin. It is a shame I did not save the recipe either. In chapter four, Aunt Chloe made a little pound cake for Tom one evening. So it seemed like the right thing to do, too. 

3. Ingalls Wilder : Little House on the Prairie : 
heart-shaped cakes
These were my favorites. Ma made little heart-shaped cakes to put into the girls' stockings at Christmas.  I made these for our Little House Christmas Party.



4. Ingalls Wilder : The Long Winter : pumpkin pie
Actually, Ma made a green pumpkin pie for Pa because they had to salvage the pumpkins before the winter, and Ma was always creative and resourceful. And of course, Pa loved it. We used the recipe from the Little House Cookbook and made our own pumpkin pie. 



5. Ingalls Wilder : Farmer Boy : taffy
Speaking of the WILDer family, Almanzo and his siblings were left home alone for a week while their parents went out of town. The kids ate all the sugar, but not before making taffy. Then Almanzo gave some to his pig, which was hysterical. Therefore, my kids and I arduously made taffy using The Little House Cookbook recipe. 

6. Ingalls Wilder: On the Banks of Plum Creek : 
vanity cakes
Ma made vanity cakes for Laura and Mary and their friends from school. Ma said they were called vanity cakes because they were puffed up and hollow inside, just like a vain person. My kids and I made these, too, and sprinkled them with powdered sugar. 

7. Barrows/Schaffer: The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society
If I remember correctly, this book-club/potluck met in secret during WWII. They had to hide the roasted pig, too. They made potato peel pie, a wartime inspiration, obviously. I felt like some of the descriptions were not very appetizing; however, when food is scarce, you are grateful for anything. That was why it was a feast. 
8. Dickens: A Christmas Carol
The foods served at Christmas brought out some of the joys of the season, even for the Cratchits, who lived in poverty. Stuffed goose, potatoes and gravy, fruit, soup, and even fish. And don't forget that huge turkey that Scrooge sent over to the Cratchit's on Christmas Day!


9. Hemingway: A Moveable Feast
This is NOT a book about food. But it definitely could be. 

10. Alcott: Little Women
Of all the books that mention food, I think Little Women is the closest to a whole foods diet. Fruits, veggies, meats, and fish. Nothing fancy, but everything that is good for you. 

4 comments:

  1. I enjoyed the food pictures and comments, Ruth. And the Moby Dick reference made me recall listening to a recorded excerpt of the chapter on chowder from the Charlotte, N.C. library back in the 1980's. It must have made a favorable and lasting impression.

    .
    In the Proteus section of Thomas Wolfe's Of Time and the River the author describes with detail and delight the contents of an "icebox" located in the opulent Hudson River home of the protagonist's friend from graduate school. Three pages of detail are given, and to me, not a dull word among them. He cannot resist a midnight ravaging of these viands with ravenous delight and proceeds to do some serious devouring at that late hour.

    If you wander into Christina Rossetti's Goblin Market you will find a plethora of fruits in the opening stanza of that long and strange poem.

    Bon appetit!



    To close, I give a warning that if you wander into Christina Rosetti's Goblin Market you will enter into a plethora of fruit in the opening stanza of this long and strange poem. I think the YT recorded version of this work is about 25 minutes long.

    Bon appetit!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is definitely not one I read during my reading of Rossetti. Most of the poems I read were about death or dying. I would have rather read about food. I'll check it out! Thanks!

      Delete
  2. What a wonderful list of tempting foods from books! 😋
    Blessings, Jessica 💌

    ReplyDelete

Share your thoughts...