Tuesday, June 13, 2017

The Peloponnesian War by Thucydides


The Peloponnesian War

Thucydides, translated by Steven Lattimore

Ancient Greek History

 The Well-Educated Mind Histories

⭐⭐⭐


The only reason I read The Peloponnesian War by Thucydides was for my Well-Educated Mind Reading Challenge, and therefore I am recording the minor fact that I read it.  I feel like I cannot add much more than that - I read it; it is done - but if I ponder a bit, maybe I can come up with some opinions.


[crickets]  


Oh, I know.  I can confidently say I preferred Peloponnesian War far less than Herodotus' Histories. Thucydides was dull, dry, and dull.  (Said that already.)


Some of the speeches given by generals or other leaders were engrossing, but not frequent enough.


I am reminded again: loyalties are a joke, men can be bought for a price, you cannot trust government, innocent citizens are always the pawns of selfish, greedy, arrogant leaders, and these wars were wasteful and motivated by pride (because while I would be the first to say that sometimes war is very necessary, this "one" was not).  


If I did not know any better, I would say that Lattimore, my translator, had a personal vendetta against Thucydides because in his footnotes he often times ripped Thucydides to shreds when he thought he was being unfair or untruthful or not thorough enough.  Maybe that is what you call an honest translator.


Toward the end there were philosophical discussions about democracy and oligarchies, and that was interesting - though a little too late.  Other than that, I cannot say I remember anything more that stands out; and in fact, the longer I wait to write this post, the more I forget I even read it.


So there it is.  Glad to be done.  I have great respect for minds that love this stuff, but I am ready to move on to Plato.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts...