Saturday, February 29, 2020

Queen Victoria by Lytton Strachey



Queen Victoria

Lytton Strachey  

Published 1921

English History  

Well-Educated Mind Histories

⭐⭐⭐⭐


When I began reading through the Well-Educated Mind, in 2012, I expected to purchase every book (used) on the list -- all 147 of them. Some books I was "lucky" enough to find at a used bookstore or the used book sale of my library, but most I ordered through Amazon.com used booksellers. It was important to have my own copy so I could write in it and keep it as long as I needed. 


That got old quickly, and lately I have been borrowing them from the library. If it turns out to be a good book, something I know I would read again, then I may buy a copy later. Unfortunately, now that I am taking so long to write reviews, I have to return the book and no longer have any details to share. I suppose I need to take notes in the future.


Queen Victoria, by Lytton Strachey, is one that I borrowed from the library and read for my WEM histories. It was a decent read and quite informative. I really enjoyed my time in it, but since I returned it weeks ago, I can only share my overall general impressions. 


For example, the book is well written -- a very pleasant read -- in chronological order, from the time of Victoria's birth (1837) until her death (1901). The narrative does not jump around, making it simple to follow. Her mother raised her to be an honorable and good girl, and Victoria made a promise to be a good queen. She was coronated Queen of the United Kingdom at the tender age of eighteen. 


Soon after, she was encouraged to marry her cousin, Prince Albert, of "Germany," which she did reluctantly. But, WOW! Did she soon develop a change of heart! Victoria was so proud of her cousin-husband. Everything he said and did was right and good and perfect. She believed him to be intelligent and creative. She was enthusiastic about his ideas and how he assisted with running the State. Sadly for her, it was more like he was King than she was Queen. 


To complicate matters, life in England was evolving rather quickly, and the people (and Parliament) asked, "Why do we even need the Crown in the first place," as more and more power was transferred to the Prime Minister(s) and Parliament.


However, the most distressing change for Victoria was the loss of her husband (1860). Immediately following his death, she retreated from the public and desperately worshiped her husband's image and his memory. 


When she recovered herself, she felt a protective motherly approach to governing and caring for all those under her safekeeping. She even showed herself to be a little more feisty and assertive in her decision-making. In the end, she kept her promise: to be a good Queen.


After finishing this book, I was left with an impressive opinion of Queen Victoria. She seemed to be a great lady. I would love, love, LOVE to read her journals. Yes! She wrote...a lot! So I look forward to getting my hands on those in the future. 


Should You Read This?


If you like biographies, biographies about great women, biographies about queens or royalty, biographies from the history of England or the United Kingdom, or you just like anything about Queen Victoria - and you have yet to read Stratchey's work - then yes, by all means, read this. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts...