Monday, November 01, 2021

The Iliad of Homer

 

The Iliad of Homer
edited by Richmond Lattimore
Written 850-750 BC
Ancient Greek poetry
The Well-Educated Mind Poetry
⭐⭐/ 5

I have finally read The Iliad of Homer.

I know the story well, through years of reading younger/abridged versions with my children through our Ancient Greek school years, but I did not enjoy this translated version, which was my first time reading an "adult" version. It could be the timing of the reading for me, or it could be the story itself. Therefore, it was just ok for me, and that's all. 

I found the the gods' infantile bickering difficult to endure. The Greek and the Trojan warriors were the pawns - or more like puppets - of the god's greedy manipulation to work out their own selfish pride and jealousies against one another. It was cruel and contentious, and after a short while, quite annoying. 

As far as the translation: it was acceptable; but obviously I have only read this one translations. Therefore, if I dare reread The Iliad, it will be a different edition. 

I read this for The Well-Educated Mind - Poetry. The next book on the poetry list is Homer's The Odyssey. This is a story I know well (also through younger abridged versions) and actually prefer over the Iliad. I am excited to begin it; let's see how it goes!

2 comments:

  1. I have Fagles' translations of both books & like you have read the versions for younger readers, but a friend told me how much she enjoyed the new translation by Emily Wilson so I bought that. Planning to read through it with my daughter next year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I probably or I may have enjoyed the Fagles edition of The Iliad. Maybe. Not sure. I loved the kids' versions, like Black Ships Before Troy and Colum's The Children's Homer. I have definitely seen that translation of Wilson's. I will keep it in mind bc I will prefer a different edition if I do choose to reread it. Thanks.

      Delete

Share your thoughts...