Thursday, January 27, 2022

A Pair of Blue Eyes by Thomas Hardy

A Pair of Blue Eyes
Thomas Hardy
Published 1873
⭐⭐

Following are spoilers...

A Pair of Blue Eyes is a love triangle or drawn-out chess match. Two men and a young lady endure a like/dislike relationship for the entire length of the unnecessarily long story.

Stephen Smith is young and ambitious, but hardly refined according to the elite requirements of society. He is a good man and he cares for Elfride genuinely. Henry Knight is completely opposite - older, more experienced and learned, but not particularly interested in investing in an emotional relationship with a woman.

At the beginning of the story, Elfride falls for Stephen and pursues a sweet and innocent relationship with the young man; but when her meddling materialistic father discourages the relationship in typical Victorian fashion, they elope, only for Elfride to change her mind in obedience to her father. Dejected, Stephen travels overseas to pursue his life's work, and Elfride moves on...to Henry. 

Elfride become a different character with Henry. The once well-grounded and self-contained young lady is sometimes putty in Henry's hands. She forgets to think for herself and aims to please him. Furthermore, he is not much of a knight at all, but Elfride is the one who must rescue him on a few occasions. It is as if male and female switch roles for a time. Unfortunately, Henry learns of Elfride's prior engagement to another man (Stephen), and he immediately ends their courtship.

The story then moves onto an unexpected relationship -- between Stephen and Henry. Once friends prior to Elfride, the ex-suitors become re-acquainted with one another, and the reader is led to believe a more solid and lasting relationship/bromance has been born. Even after learning of their connection to Elfride, and that she married a third man out of convenience, they are undeterred. 

A Pair of Blue Eyes is not your traditional love triangle story because Hardy does not have Elfride choose between either of the two suitors, and in fact he kills her off after she married a third man, having never endured married life for very long.

This is the first or only Hardy that I have given such a low rating. He often gets five stars from me because of his writing style and torturous plots that evoke much raw emotion. Unfortunately, A Pair of Blue Eyes was slow and torturous in a different sense. Very detail oriented. Maybe it was a poor fit for me because currently I am preparing to move, and reading a slow book during a move is counter productive. A slow book is the kind of book you want to linger over, not drag yourself through because you are pressed for time.

6 comments:

  1. I thought I had read all of Hardy, but I have not read this. Frankly, I've read enough of Hardy and your thoughts only confirm this.

    Mind if I ask where you're moving to?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe this was one of Hardy's first novels, but I cannot remember off hand. Yeah, skip it.

      We are moving to Florida!

      Delete
  2. I saw your review on Goodreads and was wondering why such a low rating for an author you usually like. But now I know!

    Are you moving to Texas? If you have time, pop over to my blog and see some positive news about life. Take care and I hope the move goes smoothly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, yes. Now you know why. LOL!

      I will be right over to see what's going on with you. (Always thinking of you, wondering what's going on in Canada!) I always thought we'd end up in Texas, but this time, God has us headed to Florida.

      Delete
  3. Thomas Hardy's male characters sure have a way of throwing temper tantrums when they learn of their lovers' previous relationships. I'm thinking of Angel in Tess too. I haven't read A Pair of Blue Eyes, but remember how you enjoyed Hardy, and if you rank this one lowest so far, there must be a good reason. The relationship between the two fellows does sound very interesting though. I hope your move goes smoothly. They are stressful times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Paula.

      This particular story is very different from the usual Hardy, and maybe it is because it was one of his first stories. Very long and drawn out. And he did experiment with traditional views and ideals, twisted them around a bit, and pushed the envelope. Again, it could be things that are going on with me right now that made this as unfitting read, but I think I would have had a similar reaction had I not been in the process of moving.

      Delete

Share your thoughts...