Wednesday, May 04, 2022

The Pilgrim's Progress by John Bunyan


 The Pilgrim's Progress
John Bunyan
Published 1678

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

The first time I read The Pilgrim's Progress was in 2012, for The Well-Educated Mind novels. I still remember reading it because the first time always leaves a special impression that you can never get back. Reading a book for a second time is profitable, but it is never the same as the first reading. 

Pilgrim's Progress is a Christian allegory written by John Bunyan from his prison cell. I cannot imagine what amount of inadequate lighting, writing utensil and parchment, or supply of snacks he may have had to help him visualize and compose such a unique, complete, and imaginative story from start to finish about the spiritual walk of a convicted Christian soul. It is timeless because it appeals to every human heart in history that has felt the weight of sin-stricken guilt and the urgent call to repentance. 

"Sir, what must I do to be saved?" 

Bunyan's allegory features Christian, the protagonist, at the start of his Christian walk, when he learns about the coming destruction of his city. He flees from the wrath to come. His copy of the Bible gives him instruction, and he gets additional help along the way from others who aid him on his journey. The burden on his back is loosed when he comes to the cross, a reminder of what Jesus Christ did for all sinners.

My favorite part is when Christian comes to the Interpreter's House and the Interpreter shows Christian the gospel. In a room covered in dust, a man enters and begins to sweep, causing the dust to fly about and suffocate Christian. The Interpreter calls a girl in to sprinkle the dust with water so that the dust could easily be swept away. 

Christian asked for an explanation and the Interpreter answered:

The room is the heart of a man that never was sanctified by the sweet Grace of the gospel. The dust in his Original Sin and the inward corruption that have made the whole man unclean. He who began to sweep in the beginning is the law, but she who brought and sprinkled the water is the gospel. 

Now, the dust began to fly about as soon as the first individual began to sweep so that the room could not be cleaned, but you were almost choked by it. This is meant to show you that instead of cleaning the sinful heart by its works, the law actually energizes, puts strength into, and increases sin in the soul. Even though it reveals and condemns sin, it doesn't have the power to conquer it. 

Then, you saw the girl sprinkle the room with water, which caused it to be easily cleaned. This is meant to show that when the gospel comes in...the sweet and precious influences of the gospel to the heart conquer and defeat sin. The soul is made clean through the faith of the gospel, and consequently the soul is fit for the King of Glory to inhabit.  

source

Pilgrim's Progress is a wonderful story about a Christian's walk in faith, from the moment of his conviction of sin until his crossing over into eternity. Every walk is different for every believer, as Bunyan demonstrates in his allegory. There are times of trials, suffering, and struggles, and times of joy, elation, and contentment. Every character and circumstance is a reference to Scripture. In my copy, The Pilgrim's Progress in Modern English, each chapter contains notes and supporting Bible verses. If you are a believer, you will relate to Christian and rejoice with him. 

Pilgrim's Progress is a classic work, and should be read at least once. Apart from the Bible, it is one of the most important books every written. 

11 comments:

  1. That is such a lovely excerpt. <3 I recently inherited my family's copy of this (the same edition as yours). It left a huge impression on me growing up and I need to reread it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How sweet that you inherited your family's copy. It does, I think, affect people for life. I am glad to have read this version, in modern English, but I wonder if other versions would have been more challenging?

      Delete
  2. One of my favorite books. And I must say that the original language is not hard and ever so much more beautiful. I saw a movie when I was 13 of the Pilgrim's Progress. I had a profound effect on me. I have no idea who made it, or who were the actors. Maybe just as well. I might not like it as much now that I'm older.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just was wondering about different versions. Thanks for that. I think I would like to give that a try, if I ever get to reread again. I'd like to see a film version, too; I think my kids and I watched a child's animated film of PP, which was pretty good. Maybe I need to search for it.

      Delete
  3. I have a lovely old copy dated 1907. I think it's the book I've had for the longest amount of time. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is wonderful. Where did you find it?

      Delete
    2. In an old secondhand shop in the Blue Mountains west of Sydney.

      Delete
  4. This wonderful old story was more instrumental in bringing me to faith in Christ Jesus! Hallelujah!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Was it really? I can see how it could bring someone to Christ. It convicted me, and I was already a Christian when I read it.

      Delete
  5. I haven't read this beautiful book since my teens. You make me feel it's high time to pick it up again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chapters are really short, and you can take it is small chunks. : )

      Delete

Share your thoughts...