Friday, December 29, 2023

2023 Year-End Recap



I have not been on my blog since March! My reading dropped off, reviews became non-existent, book club was impossible, and I did not find or make time to blog. Yet, I did finish stronger than expected, thanks to reading with the kids for school and a determined spirit to read towards the end. I did a few short reviews on social media, and I finished one other book for book club on time, for once, and joined in on the discussion. While I fell short of my annual goal of fifty books, I do have a recap and this is what it looks like:

January

Did not finish any books.

February

Flaubert: Madame Bovary [reread]

Dodds: Marriage to a Difficult Man: The Uncommon Union of Jonathan and Sarah Edwards [unread book]

selected poetry by Samuel Taylor Coleridge [WEM poetry]

March

Tolstoy: Anna Karenina [reread] [bookclub]

Hanff: 84 Charing Cross Road [bookclub] [unread book]

Melchiore: The Self-Sufficient Backyard [unread book]

April

selected poetry by John Keats [WEM poetry]

Applebaum: Red Famine: Stalin's War on Ukraine [bailed @ 12%] [bookclub]

Schweikart: A Patriot's History of the United States [unread book]

Achebe: Things Fall Apart [unread book]

May

selected poetry by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow [WEM poetry] [unread]

Rand: The Virtue of Selfishness: A New Concept of Egoism [unread book]

selected poetry by Alfred Lloyd Tennyson [WEM poetry]

Malone: Lies My Government Told Me: And the Better Future Coming [Kindle]

Wilde: The Importance of Being Earnest [reread]

June

MacArthur: Freedom From Sin [unread book]

Hardy: The Return of the Native [reread]

July 

Whitman: Leaves of Grass [unread book] [WEM poetry]

Lewis: The Great Divorce [unread book] [bookclub]

Newton: Out of the Depths [unread book]

Rand: The Romantic Manifesto [unread book]

selected poetry by Emily Dickinson [WEM poetry]

Calvin: The Institutes of Christian Religion [reread]

MacArthur: Because the Time is Near: The Book of Revelation [reread]

August

Did not finish any books.

September

Hardy: The Woodlanders [bailed @ 11%] [unread]

James: The Portrait of a Lady [reread] [bailed @ 15%]

Rand: Atlas Shrugged [unread book] [bailed @ 9%] [bookclub]

Kent: He Went With Marco Polo [read w/ the kids] 

October

The MacArthur Old Testament Commentary on the Book of Zechariah [unread book]

Apsler: The Prophet of Revolution: Karl Marx [read w/ the kids]

Leake: The Courage to Face Covid 19: Preventing Hospitalization and Death While Battling the Pharmaceutical Complex [Kindle]

selected poetry of Gerard Manley Hopkins [WEM poetry]

November

Buck: The Good Earth [unread] [read w/ the kids]

Benge: Hudson Taylor: Deep in the Heart of China [read w/ the kids]

Kovaciny: Dancing and Donuts [Kindle]

Mason: The 10-minute Bible Journey [read w/ the kids]

West: Adam Smith: The Man and His Works [unread book]

Zusak: The Book Thief [unread book] [bookclub]

Benge: Jonathan Goforth: An Open Door in China [read w/ the kids]

Goodman: The Russian Revolution Explained for Kids [read w/ the kids]

December

selected poems by W. B. Yeats [WEM poetry]

Davin: Mao Zedong [read w/ the kids]

Dickens: A Christmas Carol [reread]

Godden: Holly and Ivy [reread]

Begg: Truth for Life Vol. II [unread]

Trifkovic: The Sword of the Prophet: Islam - History, Theology, and Impact on the World [reread]

Stockett: The Help [unread] 

* * *

The 2023 Totals:

read (incl bails): 47

reread: 10

bailed: 4 

WEM poetry: 9

books donated: -8

new books added: +11

unread books read: -18

unread books remaining: 61
(I removed my kids' school books that I want to read from my unread pile.)

* * *

The 2023 Winners:

* unforgettable fiction/novel:

Anna Karenina
* best new-to-me classic:

The Good Earth

* best revived reread: 

Madame Bovary

* memorable biography/memoir:

Out of the Depths

* charming epistolary non-fiction:

84 Charing Cross Road

*  excellent biblical non-fiction:

Zechariah

* best historical fiction: (tie)

Things Fall Apart

The Book Thief

* other (honorable mention) fiction:
The Great Divorce

* pleasantest poetry:

Leaves of Grass

* treasured juvenile read: 

Holly and Ivy

forever a favorite: 
A Christmas Carol

* * *

Not sure if I will be around in 2024, but I hope to get back into the groove of reading, writing, and reviewing, as well as visiting other bookish blogs. I certainly miss it. I already have a goal of books I hope to read in the new year, which I will post in a few days. In the meanwhile...

Happy New Year!

4 comments:

  1. I also read A Christmas Carol again this year and loved it ♥️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It never disappoints. This year I also did the Hillsdale College online class for A Christmas Carol and it was fantastic. Opened my eyes to ideas I did not know before.

      Delete
  2. Stephen @ Reading FreelyJanuary 4, 2024 at 7:27 AM

    I like your prolonged study of Smith and Rand. Cant say I ever imagined Mao as children's reading, but then again I was reading a biography of Stalin in middle school. (Albert Marrin is a favorite NF-for-teens writer.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Marrin is exceptional! The Mao book was Middle School (Jr High), but it was horribly written. Ugh. So boring and disinteresting. My fault for not researching a better book for HS students who really aren't interested in one of the world's most massive Communists.

      Delete

Share your thoughts...