Monday, January 15, 2024

January: How it's going.

According to GoodReads, I am already a book behind schedule. I hate when that happens. Nonetheless, I have no shortage of reading material. This is how it is going.

Daily study

My Utmost for His Highest by Oswald Chambers

    I use this for my devotional every day, and it is only a five-minute read at most, unless I have to re-read it because I need better understanding.

Thru the Bible with J. Vernon McGee, Vol. I-V (in conjunction with John MacArthur Study Bible)

    Joseph @ The Once Lost Wanderer had an extra copy of this excellent commentary and offered to send it to me when I had expressed an interest in reading through it; and (WOW!), am I ever grateful. I have read through Revelation and Acts, and now I am reading Romans. McGee is consistent, comprehensive (I need that), concise, with a twist of sarcasm. As I read through my Bible, I read corresponding chapters from McGee's commentary, which makes for a deeply satisfying Bible study each morning.


During school w/ the kids:

The House of Sixty Fathers by Meindert Dejong

    This is a short juvenile book about a little Chinese boy who became separated from his parents while fleeing the Japanese occupation during WWII. We're half way through the story.

Sons by Pearl S. Buck

    This is the second book in the Good Earth series. Last fall, we finished the first book, and I thought it was top rate in writing style, story structure, and interest. It was an excellent study on human nature and sin, and since beginning Sons, I don't see it dropping off. I would definitely suggest reading the first book before starting this one, which is a continuation of the story, although it is readable even if you do not start with The Good Earth.



With my family on Sunday nights:

Tortured for His Faith by Harlan Popov

    A re-read for me, and so intense that I wanted my husband and kids to hear it. Set in post-WWII, while Eastern Europe was controlled by Communist Russia, this is the story of how Popov survived thirteen years in Bulgarian prison camps and under hard labor because he refused to be brainwashed or renounce his Christian faith. 



For WEM poetry challenge, one a day:

Selected poems of Paul Laurence Dunbar

    So far, I have read ten + poems by Dunbar, and he is truly delightful, cheering, and honest. His poems are far more enjoyable than those who only focused on death and dying. Maybe we are kin because we share the same birthday. 

Paul Laurence Dunbar


For ladies group, one chapter a month:

Unmet Expectations by Lisa Hughes

    This is a short Christian study on the biblical way to understand and live with disappointment and discontentment.  


From my unread books:

Les Misérables by Victor Hugo

    I have avoided this tome like the plague. However, since I started, it has been good. I know the bones of the story, but there is so much filler. Not sure I need all of that. Meanwhile, I found a group doing a read-along and decided to join. Most people are reading the unabridged, but I am going to stick with my abridged version.



A reread:

The House of Mirth by Edith Wharton

    I love this frustrating story, but I forgot why. Wharton is an exquisite writer, but Lily is a foolish woman and I am struggling for patience. 


For absolute pleasure:

The Little House Books by Laura Ingalls Wilder, ed. Caroline Fraser

    And, of course, this is perfect reading for me, especially when I need to take my mind off of burdens. I love to escape into the pioneer days, into the world of Laura's childhood. This version is a two volume set minus the famous illustrations, and includes other commentary. 



2 comments:

  1. The little House books were the first chapter books I read to my oldest two kids. My Utmost is a long time favourite devotional. My youngest son reckons it was on my bedside table all his life. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The LH books are such a joy.

      What a positive memory your son has! My Utmost is not only edifying, it is also very challenging. I sometimes have to read over and over again for better understanding. But that's me.

      Delete

Share your thoughts...