Monday, October 25, 2021

Currently Reading



What I am reading with my kids:

The Hobbit by J. R. R. Tolkien
    This is a reread together, but this time I am reading it for school, since it was written before the start of WWII. My kids are also watching the film editions, as we get to the corresponding parts in the story.

Training Hearts, Teaching Minds: Family Devotions Based on the Shorter Catechism by Starr Meade
    We've read through this book as a family many years ago, and we were due for a reread.

Money, Greed, and God: Why Capitalism the Solution and Not the Problem by Jay Richards
    The author does a good job dispelling the myths of capitalism, many of which are held by Christians, while providing evidence (including biblical) for the ways that capitalism and a free market works for everyone and why it is the best economic system in the world. Nothing else comes close. 

World War II For Kids: A History with 21 Activities by Richard Panchyk
    We're not reading the entire text, but it does have primary sources or first hand accounts, like letters and telegrams, from people who experienced WWII. That's what we are focusing on.

Unbroken (Adapted for Younger Adults) by Laura Hillenbrandd
    Even though this is adapted for younger adults, it is still wildly graphic. I have skipped over some descriptions. Otherwise, this is a remarkable story about courage, perseverance, grace, mercy, and forgiveness. I want my children to know about Louie Zamperini because he was an amazing American Christian. 

From Sea to Shining Sea: A Treasury of American Folklore and Folk Songs by Amy Cohn
    My kids and I have been using this book chronologically for the last three or four school years. I have  learned through Charlotte Mason how important it is for children to learn their nation's folklore and folk song, and this book has been a blessing. It's not only for children. 

What we recently finished: 

Lord of the Flies by William Golding
    My kids actually liked critiquing this story. It made them angry, at times, and I was glad because it demonstrated that the story did what it was supposed to do. It made them think. We talked about the human condition and how cruelty does not need to be taught. We all know it very well. 

What I am reading for myself:

The Iliad by Homer
    I am reading this for TWEM (poetry), and I admit it is very difficult for me.  I am not enjoying it. I know the story very well because I have read children's versions over and over, yet the real thing is not piquing my interest. It's kind of a disappointment, and I just want to finish it and move on. 

Sweet Land of Liberty by Charles Coffin
    This is an early American history book written like a pleasant detailed story about people and events. Early American history is a favorite of mine, so I am enjoying this. 

What I very recently finished: 

The Closing of the American Mind by Allan Bloom
    This was more academic than I had expected, but I did like it. Sometimes it went over my head, thanks to the philosophical aspects. In a nutshell, Bloom saw the coming catastrophe of the death of reason with  the birth of relativism within the American university system, and he blamed the 60s. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts...