Monday, October 25, 2021

I have decided to write again

Earlier this year, I took a huge break from blogging. After becoming disheartened with everything, I deleted my blog (Great Book Study) forever. 

At the beginning of summer, my family took a trip to other parts of America, to escape the oppressiveness of California. The moment we crossed into Arizona, I felt like Leonardo DiCaprio on the bow of the Titanic all the way to Florida. None of us wanted to return to California, though it is always sweet to go home. 

In September, my father, who is in Florida, got Covid. He has Parkinson's and was ready to give up. My brother, who also lives in Florida, had to advocate hard for our dad to receive the monoclonal antibody treatment. Long story short, the hospital relented, and it saved my father's life, especially because he was treated early enough. He only suffered five days of symptoms, and then he recovered with ease. 

That frightening experience pressured me to want to live in Florida so I could care for my dad. Before our trip, we were open to moving to Texas or Tennessee, but now my husband said he could see us in Florida. So...my husband has expanded his job search to Florida and has had numerous job interviews since summer of 2020, though nothing has panned out.

We are still looking for a way out of Cali, but without a replacement job in the other state first, it does not seem likely we are going anywhere soon. 

The Gulf of Mexico as seen in Florida

I am trying to keep my chin up, being grateful for all that we still have that makes life livable; but the future of California is quite hopeless and bleak. Unless you are illegal, immoral, homeless, lawless, or extremely wealthy, this is no longer a great place to pursue dreams.

In the meanwhile, I have been gardening and growing food, particularly an over abundance of peppers: jalapeños, habaneros, siracha, serranos, and green peppers. In spring, I grew onions, romaine, cucumbers, and spinach through the summer. And we still have tomatoes, potatoes, carrots, and snow peas coming up. We also have two small citrus trees. My yard is finally becoming a jungle of green. 

Of course, all of this global insanity has drawn me closer to my Savior. Every morning I read Scripture, copying whatever I feel compelled to copy. I read a Psalm at night, specifically Psalm 37, which gives me great comfort. And when the weather is decent, I take a long bike ride in the morning, while listening to hymns before I start the day with my kids. 

And finally, I have found the desire to read again, which causes me to want to write. It brings me great  sanity and joy. I do miss meeting with Thomas Hardy and Laura Ingalls Wilder. I miss the heath and the prairie. I want to return to the classics that started me on my reading/writing journey in the first place -- all the books from The Well-Educated Mind by Susan Wise Bauer. I want to drop everything and start again. 

However, I promised myself that I would finish reading the remainder of books on my shelves, which amount to 128, or something close to that. Then I may return to the beginning again. God willing. 

So if you have come across this blog and are interested in what I am reading or curious how we make out in California, join me. 

P.S. My blog title comes from one of my favorite bookish quote: 

"With freedom, books, flowers, and the moon, who could not be happy?" ~ Oscar Wilde 

2 comments:

  1. Welcome back to land of Blog! Good to see you writing again. I only accidentally found you after you commented on Brian's Babbling Books.

    ReplyDelete

Share your thoughts...