Tuesday, December 28, 2021

2021 Recap & Review


Well, I'm not going to complete anymore books this year. My current reads, A Pair of Blue Eyes by Thomas Hardy, is taking longer than expected, and The Real Anthony Fauci by Robert Kennedy is almost 1000 pages. 

Therefore, here is a recap of the books I read or started to read (but bailed) in 2021, including my rating. I noted which ones I re-read (R), bailed (B), and/or un-shelved (U)

The Unread Shelf Project (by Whitney at The Unread Shelf) is my attempt to read all of my unread books and I have to decide which to keep and which to discard. I may un-shelve (discard) a book because I got what I wanted to out of it and am sure I would never read it again. Another reason is because it was unreadable and did not want to finish it. I may have read it to a point, and then decided I had wasted enough time and probably would never try again. 

At the end I try to decide which were my favorites, which is really an impossible decision. But if I had to choose....

january


Yousafzai: I Am Malala ⭐⭐⭐ (U)

Song of Roland ⭐⭐⭐ (U)

Angelou: I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Grant: The Patriot's Handbook ⭐⭐⭐⭐

Bailey: The American Spirit, Vol. 1 ⭐⭐⭐⭐ (U)

Stanley: Living in His Sufficiency ⭐⭐⭐

Genovese: Roll, Jordan, Roll ⭐⭐⭐⭐

McClay: Land of Hope ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

february

Benge: Eric Liddell: Something Greater Than Gold ⭐⭐⭐

The Romance of Tristan and Iseult ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Gaskell: Ruth ⭐⭐⭐⭐

Austen: Sanditon (B) (U) (read a few pages)

Mann: The Magic Mountain (B) (U)  (read a few chapters)

march

Montgomery: Anne of Green Gables ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Dreher: Live Not by Lies ⭐⭐⭐⭐

Dickens: Nicholas Nickleby (B) (read a 1/3)

Tuchman: A Distant Mirror (B) (U) ⭐⭐⭐ (read a 1/3)

Lane: The Discovery of Freedom (B) (read a 1/4)

april

George: Becoming a Woman of Beauty and Strength: Ester ⭐⭐⭐⭐(U)

Douglass: My Bondage and My Freedom ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Bernstein / Woodward: All the President's Men ⭐⭐ (U)

Austen: The History of England ⭐⭐ (U)

Taylor: Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry ⭐⭐⭐

Hardy: The Trumpet Major ⭐⭐⭐⭐

Levitin: Journey to America ⭐⭐⭐⭐

Shakespeare: Taming of the Shrew ⭐⭐⭐

may

Levy: Year of Goodbyes ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Ali: Infidel ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Coffin: The Boys of '76 ⭐⭐⭐⭐

Schaeffer: How Should We Then Live ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ (R)

Malory: Le Morte d'Arthur, Vol. 1 (B) (read a few chapters)

june

Somerset: Of Human Bondage ⭐⭐⭐⭐

july

Reagan: The City on a Hill ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ (U)

Bronte: Jane Eyre  ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ (R)

Frankl: Man's Search for Meaning ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Dante: The Inferno ⭐⭐⭐⭐

Ballard: The Midwife's Tale (B) (U) ⭐⭐ (read half)

august

Williams: Laura Ingalls Wilder: A Biography ⭐⭐⭐⭐

Shrier: Irreversible Damage ⭐⭐⭐⭐

Covid 19: The Great Reset ⭐

Fukayama: The End of History and the Last Man ⭐⭐⭐ (B) (read half)

september

Epic of Gilgamesh ⭐⭐

Angle: The New Nation Grows ⭐⭐⭐ (U)

Golding: The Lord of the Flies ⭐⭐⭐⭐ (R)

Tanaka: Attack on Pearl Harbor ⭐⭐⭐ (U)

Marrin: Hitler ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Hardy: A Laodicean ⭐⭐⭐⭐

Sparks: The Notebook (B) (U) (read one chapter)

october

Bloom: The Closing of the American Mind ⭐⭐⭐ (U)

Richards: Money, Greed, and God ⭐⭐⭐⭐

Homer: The Iliad of Homer ⭐⭐ (U)

november 

Hillenbrand: Unbroken ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐(R)

Coffin: Sweet Land of Liberty ⭐⭐⭐⭐

Homer: The Odyssey ⭐⭐⭐⭐ 

Tolkien: The Hobbit ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ (R)

Bliven: Invasion: The Story of D-Day ⭐⭐⭐

Asimov: How Did We Learn About Nuclear Power? ⭐⭐⭐⭐

december 


Blake: Dances With Wolves ⭐⭐⭐(U)

Godden: Holly and Ivy ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐(R)

Hersey: Hiroshima ⭐⭐⭐

Bishop: Twenty and Ten ⭐⭐⭐(U)

Dickens: A Christmas Carol ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ (R)

Bachrach: Tell Them We Remember ⭐⭐⭐

Babbit: Tuck Everlasting ⭐⭐⭐(U)

Lowry: Number the Stars ⭐⭐⭐(U)

* * *

total books read: 59

total books reread: 7

total books bailed:

total books un-shelved: 20

* * *

favorite fiction read of 2021

I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings by Maya Angelou


favorite non-fiction read of 2021

Land of Hope by Wilfred M. McClay


favorite juvenile book / read to my kids 2021

Anne of Green Gables by L. M. Montgomery

13 comments:

  1. I've done The Unread Shelf Project for 2 years now, and it's been so helpful! The first year really was just me getting a handle on my book stash and figuring out how to let go of books by admitting I'm not going to read them after all. This year, I got better at not buying nearly so many books, while also letting go of more books that I bought simply because "they look good" and not because I actually know I want to read them. It's such a learning process! But I really want to have my unread books down to what I feel are a manageable number by 2030, and this is definitely helping.

    Um, anyway, I love a bunch of books you read this year. Jane Eyre, Anne of Green Gables, A Christmas Carol, Taming of the Shrew... good stuff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Rachel,
      You've done really well with your unread shelf. I thought I saw that you were almost done; so what is the manageable number that you are aiming?? Also, I really did some soul searching this year over books I had on my unread shelf for years, and I was able to admit I wasn't going to read them ever; while it was easy to detach from them, I still thought it sad that I wasted money on these books and they just sat overlooked for years. So when you tell me you eliminated such books, too, it makes me feel better knowing you had a similar epiphany. Whitney (at the Unread Shelf) encourages this.

      Delete
    2. Well, sooo... for about 10 years, I tended to just buy books that I wanted to read that the library didn't have, and stick them on a bookcase in the basement. And then never read them because I had small kids. Until it got to where there were so many, they kind of weighed on my conscience and I was having a hard time enjoying reading anything from them because seeing all those unread books made me feel guilty. So I brought most of them up from the basement and put them on three half-size bookcases (3 shelves each) in my bedroom, sometime in 2019. And my goal is to get them to where I only have one half-size bookcase of unread books anymore, not three that are partly double-stacked. Which would be about 100 unread books still, but MUCH better than what I'm at right now, which is just over 500 :-o Yes, it's terrifying.

      The wasting money thing makes it VERY hard for me to let go of books too, but happily, I did buy most of these used, many of them for less than a dollar at library book sales and such, so that makes it easier. I'm also working on accepting that when I buy a book, I am NOT also buying the TIME it takes to READ the book. I have unshelved probably a hundred books over the two years! But I also keep buying books, and people keep giving me books for gifts... it's a learning process. Good luck with yours! And don't feel bad about feeling bad about unloading books because... the point is to concentrate on enjoying the books we read, regardless of number, right?

      Delete
    3. Wow! 500! But you are making great progress, too. When I started this in 2019, I had close to 200 unread. I'm only around 110. :/ I think your outgoing rate is better than mine. I also got majority of my books at used books sales at the library. Great deal, of course. Just wish I wasn't so impulsive.

      Do agree that it is more important to enjoy the reading experience. God will provide the reading time.

      Delete
    4. I have actually started to see some visual results from my efforts, in that a whole pile of books on the floor in front of my TBR shelves is now gone. Will the next year bring an actual emptying of a shelf? Here's hoping!!!

      Delete
  2. A great year for you! I was lucky to get past 10. Ugh! I bailed on A Distant Mirror too but I was enjoying it, it was just that it was taking up too much time. I plan to read it at some point. And it looks like neither of us picked up Ivanhoe.

    Glad to see you read more than your reviewed. I hope 2022 is even a better reading year for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, Cleo. You probably are super busy with a thousand other projects. But nothing wrong with that. Sometimes I don't have to be busy to miss reading. If the world is distracting, I may not even have the mindset to read. I am trying to overcome that.

      But, yeah, A Distant Mirror was in part interesting, but not enough to hold me. It's huge, and I was not willing to commit that much. And I completely dumped my medieval theme this last year. Instead I just started pulling different books off my shelf that I felt like reading at that moment.

      Delete
    2. P.S. That's another thing...I really would have loved to review all that I have read, but 3/4 of the year I did not blog, and this last 1/4 I was trying to catch up. A lot of these books I read with my kids, too, and I often find it difficult to review these. There are so many of them. I hope to get better about it next year.

      Delete
  3. Your reading this year is pretty impressive, Ruth!
    It's a pity you didn't finish Nicholas Nickleby, I found it quite hilarious - the funniest from Dickens so far.

    I see that you wasn't too impressed with Iliad, but quite enjoyed Odyssey. I might try to get on with Odyssey anyway, then.

    I bailed on Le Morte d'Arthur too years ago, it's too flat, right?

    Good luck with 2022, hopefully it'll bring more joy in your personal and reading life. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Fanda. Thanks. I actually read about 1/3 of Nicholas Nickleby. (I initially thought it was a 1/4.) So I got through a good chunk of it. I sometimes was enjoying it, and other times I struggled through it. I didn't want to totally dislike it, and that is why I had to stop. I hope to return to it one day. So I did not discard it.

      I think I disliked the bickering of the gods in the Iliad, but it also could have been the translator. And I especially enjoyed the story of the Odyssey, but I also found the translator very effective.

      I don't even remember why I quit Le Morte d'Arthur. You're right. May have been flat.

      Delete
  4. Some great titles here...a very productive year. See ya in 2022 :) (I know you're gonna be pretty busy)

    ReplyDelete

Share your thoughts...